Thursday, March 12, 2009

Threading: Review of Sun Maita At-Home Threader Kit


First off: I've never tried salon threading. I'm not a very hairy person to start with--my bigger issue with my eyebrows is penciling them in everyday, not plucking them. Given that, I might be an unusual person to test out the new Sun Maita At Home Threader Kit, but I did and I have to say: I'm completely addicted. It has become my new SSB (Secret Single Behavior a la Charlotte staring at her pores in Sex and the City).

The kit comes with the threader doohickey, Feel Less lotion to numb the skin, chalk to make the hair more visible pre-threading and the Closer to sooth and cool skin. When you use the Feel Less lotion you don't feel a thing. Even without it, the pain is minimal.

After meeting the founders Anita Sun and Sara Maita, both licensed aestheticians last week, I decided to give this centuries old method of hair removal a try. On Sara's suggestion, I used it to remove the peach fuzz along my jaw line. The hair itself is very blond and never bothered me much, but as Sara pointed out, it's not the hair, it's the shadows it casts off. The threader was easy to use, didn't hurt and best of all, my skin wasn't irritated in the slightest, which is saying a lot for a fair-skinned girl like me. My foundation goes on so much smoother now.

Other benefits of threading include: reduced hair regrowth, it doesn't tug the skin like waxing would, lasts up to four weeks and prevent ingrown hairs.

Our only problem with it: Anita and Sara, both pros, say they can remove a single, targeted hair with the threader. We have yet to master that skill and until we do this baby's not going anywere near our brows.

Available for $150 at SunMaita.com.

7 comments:

Globetrottingbride said...

Wow. I've never even heard about a do it yourself threading kit. The ladies do it so quickly I can hardly see what they're doing!

Anonymous said...

THIS IS AN AWESOME AWESOME INVENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worth every penny!

Melon said...

I want to know if people have really tried this and does it work well.

The Jet Set Girls said...

We've tried and our friend who is experienced at getting threaded tried it. It works well for larger areas like your jaw line or lip. Neither of us can figure out how to use it on our eyebrows where precision is a must.

Melon said...

That's good to know. I really want to try it but not sure about spending $150 without reading any reviews. Did u try the underarm area? How often can/should you use it?

The Jet Set Girls said...

We checked in with our tester and here's what she had to say regarding use on underarms:
I would say probably yes but depending on how long the hair is (you can’t thread with short hair or stubble because it needs to come out of the root). I would think it would be a bit hard to maneuver doing it to yourself but possible.

Good question, Just Meli!

Anonymous said...

I would just like to take some time too thank the active members for doing what you do and make this community great im a long time reader and first time poster so i just wanted to say thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails