Monday, March 23, 2009

A Peek Inside Jolie Nadine's Carry On


This week, we're taking a peek inside Nadine Haobsh's carry on. Nadine is the editor of one of the original beauty blogs Jolie Nadine and has been on the road a lot these days promoting Confessions of a Beauty Addict, a fun read about a beauty editor's fall from grace--and her ensuing comeback. It's like a Confessions of a Shopaholic for the beauty obsessed, complete with a list of Nadine's personal beauty faves in the back. Nadine and Annie have actually know each other for years--going back to the days when they were both on staff beauty editors. Here's what Nadine travels with:



When I was 21 years old and received my very first paycheck, I sprinted to Bloomingdale's on 59th and Lex and bought my Louis Vuitton Speedy. It's been with me to Egypt, Argentina, Scotland, Panama, Germany and, bien sur, France, and I am constantly amazed by how much can be crammed in there: sneakers, magazines, makeup bags, books, you name it! I've even used it as a (way too glamorous) gym bag a time or three. Normally, it's stuffed with the basics: iPod, Blackberry, wallet, sunglasses, keys and whatever I'm currently reading.

Speaking of, the two books I'm reading are about as far from each other as you can get: an advanced copy of a fiction book by Britney Spears' former makeup artist, called Pop Tart, and a biography of Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford by Mark Anderson, 'Shakespeare' by Another Name



My iPod is crammed with mostly rock and pop - nothing too revolutionary. Pearl Jam is far and away my favorite band--I've seen them 11 times in concert all over the world!--and not only do I have all their studio albums, but I also have concert CDs, B-sides and covers. The reissue of their first CD Ten comes out tomorrow and you'd better bet that's getting uploaded! I have a penchant for British bands after having lived in the UK, so Coldplay, Bloc Party, Lily Allen, Dido, McFly, Calvin Harris, Kaiser Chiefs and U2 are all on constant rotation. Other favorites include The Shins, Foo Fighters, Counting Crows, Sufjan Stevens, Kelly Clarkson, and the comedy routines of Eddie Izzard (the best are Dress to Kill, Glorious and Circle; you'll often find me giggling away like a madwoman while listening to him!). I'm digging some songs I've recently downloaded by Carolina Liar, and also have a fondness for cheesy crap like Britney Spears and Lady Gaga.



I have a nasty habit of losing my most expensive accessories (see: diamond earring graduation present from mom; Cartier Tank Francaise "Congratulations, you published a book!" watch from dad; rose-colored Chanel glasses I purchased for myself), so I now stick to fake pearls and CVS acquired plastic frames. My Tom Ford Nicolettes were gifted to me...here's hoping I can hold onto them for a few more years!


In general, magazines bore me, but the one I purchase religiously every month is Tatler. I spent a year in the English countryside working with a polo player, so it always gives me a semi-pathetic thrill upon turning to the party pages and spotting fancy-pants people I've downed Pimms with at the Cartier Polo.


When I fly, I'm outfitted as comfy as possible, which means loose-fitting tops (I usually go for a plain J-Crew tank top), snug cashmere cardigan (ditto, from J. Crew), my favorite Citizens of Humanity Kelly jeans, Bally flats, and a gray pashmina I bought in Paris.


I've found that if you're dressed nicely, you increase your chances of getting upgraded. Of course, miles in a frequent flier program (I'm with Delta, Virgin Atlantic and BA) help a LOT.

Traveling business is one of life's greatest pleasures! One of my favorite memories (seriously, I'm excited just remembering it) is the time I politely requested to be upgraded from economy to business on a British Airways flight from London to New York...and they agreed! I've been lucky enough to fly internationally first or business class on a few different airlines, including BA, Virgin, Delta, Continental and Air France, but I think the best for younger people is Virgin Atlantic; the Upper Class Clubhouse at Heathrow features an awesome Cowshed Spa chock-full of organic, delicious Cowshed products, like the Dirty Cow Hand Wash and Cow Pat Hand Cream.



Finally, I live for the day Concorde flies again. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I like this post! I just finished reading Confessions, and just every mention of beauty products made me squeal. =P

Related Posts with Thumbnails