Friday, March 6, 2009

On Our Radar: West Hollywood

Rachel Bilson
JSG is debating our next girls' getaway. Hope wants to head down to Mexico, while Annie is lobbying for Los Angeles, specifically, West Hollywood. Here's her reasons why:

I love going to L.A. because it's a complete 180 from New York, where I live. I always admire the way the girls dress on the West Coast--they wear so much more color and mix patterns in a way that's fun and relaxed, yet totally works. It feels so much more expressive than the all black or gray colors women in New York make their uniform. Rachel Bilson (above) epitomizes that look for me.

When I go to L.A., I usually stay in West Hollywood, because it's near all the amazing shopping--it's like walking through all the advertisements in Vogue. A few of my faves are Paul Smith (below), Ron Herman, Diane Von Furstenberg, Marc Jacobs, Me & Ro and Mulberry. They're all along the same stretch of Melrose Ave and Place for those of you who think L.A's not walkable. Also in that same area are a few amazing salons: Warren Tricomi and Serge Normant at John Frieda or the nearby newly opened Andy LeCompte salon. (We've been fans of Andy's ever since he let us look in his carry on.) I'm also a devotee of the red carpet-ready facials at Kate Somerville. Or shop in the Design District and Robertson Blvd where you'll find Alberta Ferretti, Stella McCartney, Chrome Hearts and Kitson.

Paul Smith

As for hotels, there are the old standbys along the Sunset Strip: Sunset Towers, the Mondrian and The Standard (though last time I stayed there, the service was terrible. Still, can't beat the view from the pool.). I'm looking forward to checking out The London and the new Andaz Hotel. It's the first branch in the country of the new hipper line of hotels from Hyatt and once was the storied Continental Hyatt House where Robert Plant, Mick Jagger and Jim Morrison used to get into trouble. And did I mention all the above hotels have fab bars and restaurants, so you don't even have to drive at night? That's a key selling point for this taxi-loving New Yorker.

Andaz

There's plenty of delish food to be had, too. For some reason, I inevitably end up eating at Katana for sushi. A visit to the new Gordon Ramsey restaurant at The London is a definite must.

Gordon Ramsay

Have I convinced you yet, Hope?

Update: Gordon Ramsey has reportedly sold his restaurant at The London. Hope it's still deserving of that star!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love West Hollywood! saving this post and all the great recommendations for my next trip out there. Someday I'll be bi-coastal...the best of both worlds, right?

Ava Pierce said...

L.A. (especially West Hollywood) over Mexico any day, all day! Check out Trina Turk's boutique on 3rd (although somehow I imagine you've been there, done that) and a newly-opened Italian restaurant called Cecconi's (on Melrose). Have a fab time, ladies, wherever you go!

Anonymous said...

I have been missing LA quite a bit recently due to some reason. Probably because of the NY weather..

Anonymous said...

BTW -- JetBlue and Virgin had some $99 each way fares this morning. I just booked a flight mid April.

The Jet Set Girls said...

Nice! Thanks for the tip. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Anonymous said...

The U.S. Travel Board just issued a travel alert for Mexico. Violence is on the rise and travelers are being cautioned to travel at their own risk. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

West Hollywood it is!! We'll meet you for Uva Bellas and dancing at 'Foxtail'. Bon Voyage!

The Jet Set Girls said...

Thanks for the reminder, Plush Junkie. We're looking to go to Cancun--which is far away from the danger hot spots of Tijuana and Rosarito.

We'll definitely look you up when we're in WeHo!

Anonymous said...

Since I'm going to Playa next month, you've convinced me on West Hollywood. Although I could always go back to Cancun as well.

Anonymous said...

Cute skirt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails