Thursday, February 5, 2009

L'Oreal and Trish McEvoy Mascaras

For the past few days, we've been wearing L'Oreal Double Extend mascara. We were excited to get our hands on one of the mascaras that work by fusing around each lash creating tubes. The L'Oreal is a two step process, first you apply a white lash conditioner, then the mascara. The L'Oreal lived up to the promises of lengthening our lashes, they were longer than with any other product, and no flaking or smudging. We have problems with raccoon eyes, and this product stayed put all day long. While our lashes were long and separated, we still prefer the thick feathery look that we get from Benefit's Badgal lash mascara. But another point for the L'Oreal Double Extend is that at night, a few handfuls of warm water and a very light touch were enough to remove the mascara which comes off in tubes. There's no smearing, and no messy towels or pillows. A possible drawback is the application is tedious especially when we're rushing in the morning. Overall we'll keep this mascara in our rotation. Mascara is like lip gloss, it depends on the day which one we feel like wearing. On sale at Ulta for $9.49.

For another look at the tube mascaras, our girlfriend, Meghan, has been wearing Trish McEvoy's High-Volume mascara for six months, loves it, and has been encouraging us to write a review for a while. Like the L'Oreal it stays on all day (and even all night when she's slept in it) and comes off with water and no smudging. She'll apply a coat or two but any more than that and it gets clumpy. Available at Nordstroms for $28.


Curiously, if you research reviews for these two products, you'll find that women either love or hate the L'Oreal Double Extend. The complaints are that it clumps and doesn't thicken your lashes. We could only find one person who complained about the Trish McEvoy product (again the clumping). We suspect that what makes the mascara form tubes and stay put, can have a tendency to clump if the product ages. If you have used one or both, we'd love to hear your opinion.

6 comments:

contests and such said...

I have used the L'oreal one and I love it. I don't wear it all the time because I think it dries my eyes out. I like how differently that the mascara comes off, but if I am not in the shower it takes a lot of water and a lot of passes for me to get it off.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying out the L'Oreal one for a week. I have a real problem with most mascaras smudging, even waterproof ones that get great reviews for staying put. (I read all mascara reviews.) Once upon a time, I was thrilled to discover Kiss Me Mascara, the first tube-forming type mascara. Then a few months ago, I found out Clinique's Lash Power also formed tubes that didn't budge. (It's also great they come off with water, because my cleanser doesn't remove waterproof makeup.) The Clinique one did a much better job of thickening and lengthening than the Kiss Me one, so I switched. Well, I saw the ads for the L'Oreal tube-type mascara. It works better than Clinique's! It is, however, a pain to use. The two-stage process is a nuisance, the lash conditioner sometimes goes on reluctantly (I have to jab clumps from the wand tip on, then smooth out with the bristles), and the container is inexplicably twice as thick as other mascara containers. But I'm hooked! The lashes--they're longer and thicker than I ever thought possible. I have long, thick eyelashes, but because of my Asian eyes, most of the length/thickness is hidden underneath the lids.

I'm also happy the L'Oreal mascara is about $5 cheaper than Clinique's. Every little bit counts!

The Jet Set Girls said...

Thanks for the great input. My latest concern with these mascaras is all the talk about drying out your lashes. Considering how much time I'll put into attaching a single false eyelash, I don't want want to lose one of my own lashes. I wonder how well L'Oreal's conditioner works and if it is actually a lash base instead designed to thicken your lashes under the mascara.

The Jet Set Girls said...

...and JSG Annie is a big fan of Clinique's Lash Power. Here's the blog we ran when it first came out: http://thejetsetgirls.blogspot.com/2008/04/answer-to-our-mascara-prayers.html

Anonymous said...

I decided to try the new loreal tube-type mascara. I was hoping it would be as good as Trish Mcevoy. Notta. It did not work for me. I have been wearing Trish tubular lash curling mascara for about 4 yrs now. I have tried the kiss me before wearing Trish and thought it had a drying affect. I am staying with Trish You get what you pay for.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Trish mascara. My eyelashes look longer than ever and there is no smudging ever. The mascara comes off in tubes from your lashes when wet, so be careful with crying. Otherwise, this stuff is awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails