Monday, April 27, 2009

Sundara Spray Tan Review

Thanks to my Irish/German heritage, I try to embrace my paleness as part of my look. (Much like I try to pass off my lack of using an iron as "my style.") But after the summer-like weekend like the one we just had in NYC, I'm reminded of how good a tan--a fake one that is--can look. When done right, it gives a healthy glow that goes hand in hand with higher hemlines and summer's brighter colors, not to mention it does a decent job of covering up cellulite.

I stopped by the Sundara Airbrush Tanning salon in NYC to test out their much publicized services (Sundara has been featured in Allure, NYMag and on, just to name a few). The salon is smaller than I expected--it's strictly a one-at-a-time-kinda deal. As it turned out a very one-on-one-kinda deal--the receptionist doubled as the spray tan technician and I was given the option of leaving on my bikini or doing it in the buff. Anyone who knows me well knows which state of undress I opted for (Hint: Modesty is not my middle name).

The experience was mercifully quick, given that I was buck naked with a stranger and a spray gun. When she was done, I had to hang out in front of a fan for a few minutes to let the self tanner absorb. That's me, immediately afterwards:

The color was natural, even and the darkest I have been since I was 17 and laid out in my backyard in an effort to get a tan for prom. My boyfriend in particular loved the tan me. The only downside is that my skin was weirdly tough. It was like I had been shellacqued.

It lasted for about 5 days. It faded like most other faux tans--the color on the tops of me feet was the first to go.

I plan on visiting Sundara again before my trip to Mexico (that I hope will still happen!). Sundara is offering a 3 for $160 special if you book before the end of the month--a $35 savings!

Sundara coupon
Prefer to faux tan in the comfort of your own home? Checkout our favorite self tanners.


Erika said...

Annie your tan is FAB! And you're looking hot in your bikini :))

The Jet Set Girls said...

Aw, thanks, Erika! You're making me blush!

Jim said...

Wow! Your tan looks so natural. I can't "embrace" my paleness anymore either. I'm going to have to try it but probably with my bathing suit on. Looks good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails