Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Peek Inside Andrea Lavinthal's Carry On Bag

andrea lavinthal carry on

Andrea Lavinthal is the author of the new, must-read guide for everyone in her 20s, Your So-Called Life: A Guide to Boys, Body Issues, and Other Big-Girl Drama You Thought You Would Have Figured Out by Now. The book is available starting September 14, so how do we already know it's going to be a bestseller? Because we got a sneak peek at a review copy and Andrea and her co-author Jessica Rozler share advice in a relatable and humorous way on everything from dating, to work to decorating to modern manners -- plus JSG gets a shout out!!! We wish we had this kind of cool, big sisterly advice when we were in our 20s, it would have made growing up so much easier!
andrea lavinthal carry on bag

Since she's so wise about everything else, we wanted to know what Andrea will be packing when she hits the road for her book tour:


My carry on is the Beirn Jenna Tote (mine is grey and white snakeskin) and has been my go-to carry on since I received it as a gift last year. The featherweight bag is spacious enough to fit all my travel necessities and it has lots of pockets for easy access to my driver’s license, boarding pass, and candy. Plus, it’s chic enough to use as my day bag at my destination (which is exactly what I did on a recent work trips to Miami).

andrea lavinthal carry on handbag

I keep my must-have liquid beauty products in a quart-sized Ziploc bag at all times so I can just toss it in my carry-on. Inside you’ll find Smith Rosebud Salve (for dry lips and cuticles), a travel-sized Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist (to keep my skin hydrated and the area around my seat smelling fresh), Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer (the perfect amount of coverage, plus SPF 30), Philosophy The Supernatural Lit From Within (my favorite cream blush), and Lavanila Vanilla Coconut Roller-Ball (beach in a bottle).

In addition, I always bring one of my Shu Uemura Eyelash Curlers (I’m a total freak about curling my eyelashes, even if my flight is at 6 a.m.) and my Trish McEvoy Blueberry Vanilla Travel Candle (you never know when you’re going to get stuck in a malodorous hotel room off a highway in Rhode Island).


andrea lavinthal carry on candle

I usually wear a gray J. Crew cashmere hoodie on the plane, but I also stuff a cashmere blanket in my bag for taking naps at the hotel. Most places don't have nice throw blankets in the rooms, and even if they did, I would feel weird about using one.

When I travel, I use the iPod on my iPhone, which I've stored with all of my favorite rock bands including The Black Keys (shown), Led Zeppelin, Guns N’ Roses, The Black Crowes, Grateful Dead, Kings of Leon. Oh, and Taylor Swift.




Before I get on a plane, I spend at least $30 on magazines at Hudson News so I have tons of reading material. And since I'm a total magazine hoarder, I schlep them home with me even if I've read them front to back. I also bring my latest book club read (just finished the young adult novel, Before I Fall, by Lauren Olivier).

I make believe that I'm a healthy traveler by bringing a bunch of Kind bars (the best flavor is Apricot & Almond) and a huge bottle of water. But once I get on the plane, I order a Diet Coke and rip into some Strawberry Mentos and Rolos. And if someone in my vicinity has a bag of Planters Nut & Chocolate Trail Mix, I will fantasize about ripping it out of their hands while they sleep. I know, totally sane.

I have about 20 pictures of my dog Hudson on my phone and I like to look at them while I'm on the plane. I sometimes force the person sitting next to me to do the same.



Even though I'm 30 years old, I travel with two things that you're more likely to find in the bag of someone less than half my age. The first is my beloved Ugly Doll Babbo. He was a gift from someone special and he’s been to Paris, Monaco, Berlin, and Venice. (That's a pic of him at the amazing Hotel de Rome in Berlin.)





My other must have is a full season of Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls on DVD. I watch them on my laptop while tuning out the other passengers on the plane and also like to enjoy these two gone-but-not-forgotten shows in my hotel room while chowing down room service and snuggling under my cashmere blanket. It's a glamorous life I lead.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think she is a kindred spirit.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails