Thursday, May 14, 2009

W Hotel Ft. Lauderdale

We've know Becky Rogers since high school. She's smart, gorgeous, funny, and travels a lot. When she said she was going to the new W Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale with her hubby, we asked her to guest blog about her trip. Thanks, Becky, you're definitely a JSG!

I saw that a new W Hotel was scheduled to open up in Fort Lauderdale. This is the first W Hotel in Florida; one is also slated to open at the end of June in Miami. Since I love the W in NYC at Lexington, and recently visited the Whiskey Blue at the W Chicago Lakeshore, we thought we’d give it a shot; knowing full well they would be working out the various kinks that come with opening a new hotel. After all, with the pool, sun, beach, and fabulous Bliss Spa… how bad could it really be!? It was a decision we did not regret! The hotel itself is stunning, with the centerpiece being the “living room” area on the main level which includes a bar, and comfy indoor and outdoor banquette seating, all situated right underneath the pool. Plexiglas slats in the ceiling allow you to peek into the pool, and then steps actually take you up through the pool, and spill you out onto the pool deck. You really must see it to appreciate how gorgeous this is!


One good thing about a brand-new hotel is that every employee there is so excited about it finally opening; they fall head over heels to make sure you are happy - a definite plus! Now, if you are going to get upset because a freshly muddled mojito takes 15 minutes, rather than 5, to be delivered to you by a cute, smiling server (thanks Amanda and Christina!), while you bask in the sun on this gorgeous pool deck, well, then you’ll be disappointed, and quite frankly, you probably have some anger issues that you should tackle.

Rooms are large, and have whimsical W toys, like a kaleidoscope, rechargeable glow stick lights, stuffed animal “gator” on the bed, and ipod docking station. Bathrooms are fully stocked with yummy Bliss products, plush towels and spa robes. They also feature modern Kohler sink and bath fixtures, as well as a teak footstool and shelving. If you are modest, you won’t be for long as the shower is separated from the bedroom by a wall of glass!


We had the 75-minute Blissage booked. Although we were the only people at the spa, I did think the locker/lounge area was a little small. And I was also surprised that there was no Jacuzzi tub, only one toilet, and one shower (thought it was equipped with dual showerheads and a steam program). Since it was just me, it was perfect, but I think it might get a little crowded once popularity rises. Music was more “coffeehouse lounge” rather than “om-inducing zen” but I enjoyed it. My massage was amazing (thank you Diane!) and started with a warm wax foot treatment which I wasn’t expecting and was a nice bonus. I had a standard Swedish massage and Diane was very attentive to my requests. I wanted to mention a couple of simple touches which had a big impact. After the first 30 minutes or so of lying on my stomach, face in the cradle, my eyes are usually so puffy from the blood flowing to my head. Once I turned on my back, she immediately put a pillow under my neck to elevate my head and then laid a cold washcloth filled with sliced cucumbers over my eyes to reduce the puffiness. Genius! Now I didn’t have to worry about looking like I had been crying when I went out later that night! I recommend this simple tip to every masseuse…

During our stay we also enjoyed a fabulous dinner at their signature restaurant, 954 Steak (by Steven Starr of Buddakan and Morimoto fame). I recommend the hamachi sashimi to start and the Australian kobe beef filet. It’s like butta…

We were even lucky enough to get into Whiskey Blue before the line behind the velvet rope got outta control, and enjoyed a couple of drinks outside. What a gorgeous bar!

The W Fort Lauderdale was simply incredible, and we did not want to leave. Would you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...book me Danno!

Unknown said...

ohhh, I wanna be a Jet Set Girl...wait, I already am, of sorts!

Rosy said...

I keep hearing about how hot this hotel is! I'm gonna check it out, thanks for this!

Jackie said...

hi do you know remember any of the songs that played at the pool when you stayed there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails