Friday, March 13, 2009

On Our Radar: Mexico

Anne gave her case for heading to West Hollywood last week and now it's my turn to pitch Mexico. We'd like to do both, of course that's not really practical. Mexico may seem like an odd choice with the troubles they're having with violence; but the resort areas are safe and the hotels are offering great deals since tourism there is waning. Mostly, I need a hot spot to park myself for a few days with a good beach, fresh guacamole and margaritas. This winter has been particularly long and cold.


From the east coast, I'm looking at Cancun because it's a short and direct 3 1/2 hour flight. My go-to choice is the Ritz-Carlton Cancun (pictured above). It's close to the airport and offers everything I need for a few days in the sun including a luxurious spa, yoga (okay so we never get up in time for the sunrise yoga), and even classes and tequila tastings in their Culinary Center.


I'm also looking at the secluded Tides Riviera Maya which is a short drive from Cancun and just outside of Playa del Carmen. It sits on a quiet beach and stretches into the tropical rain forest. This one is definitely off the beaten path and away from the hoards in Cancun. Chances are you won't see crowds until you're back at customs on the way home. There are only 31 villas on the property, many of which must be honeymooners. I'd choose this for a Sex in the City style get-a-way with a few of my girlfriends.

3 comments:

ShallowGal said...

Count me in!

Anonymous said...

Anne, as much as I love you, I think I'm going to go with Hope on this. I thought West Hollywood and the shopping would get me, but I need the food and margaritas over shopping any day. The Tides look amazing and even though I'm going to Playa in 5 weeks, I might have to convince someone to head back there with me.

The Jet Set Girls said...

Fun! Let's all go!

Related Posts with Thumbnails